Research associate

 1977 to 1981
Getting published: I entered graduate school in the field of Experimental Psychology and began looking for a ‘killer topic’ for the master’s thesis. I knew I couldn’t just write a paper – it had to be a research project. This meant coming up with a theory and collecting data to support it. Furthermore, it had to be interesting enough to get published in a professional journal. I had no idea what I was going to do but I didn’t have much time. While preparing for a presentation I was giving at a seminar in learning theory, I ran across a study showing how reading scores dramatically improve once children start making ‘inferences’. For instance, when a child reads the sentence “The paratrooper jumped out of the door” it helps if they make the inference “The paratrooper jumped out of the plane”. We were not teaching children to make inferences and that was one of the reasons why Japanese students were outscoring American students. It interested me so I made a copy for future reference. Later that year at a seminar in linguistics, I listened to one of the presenters describe how inference-making can have undesirable consequences. At the Watergate hearings for instance, when President Nixon said “No one told me John Mitchell was behind the break-in.” People came away with the impression that he said “I did not know John Mitchell was behind the break-in.” I thought, how ironic ..the same process that helps children learn to read can become a source of misunderstanding between adults. It was an intriguing theory but even more important – it was a ‘killer topic’. After getting my thesis committee to approve, I began running tests measuring adult speech and reading comprehension. What I found is that people really are susceptible to misleading inferences. Over two-thirds of the time, they mistake the inferences they make for something they either heard or read before. After listening to short passage containing sentences like “The karate expert hit the cement block”, subjects swore they heard “The karate expert broke the cement block.” Relying on inferences can actually lower adult reading scores. I thought I was on to something. Inferences are stored in a manner that is indistinguishable from information conveyed by direct assertion. I found examples in courtroom testimony and deceptive advertising. I presented my findings at a conference of the Western Psychological Association in Los Angeles where I managed to get my thesis published [link]. Then, someone approached me and said that my research would be useful in another field .. developing speech recognition systems for the computer. So in 1981, after the Reagan Administration began cutting funds for the kind of research I was doing, I completed the master’s degree and I went to work for the computer industry. I remember my colleagues telling me I was ‘selling-out’. I never lost interest in psychology and always thought I’d come back and complete a doctoral degree.

7 comments:

Shimmerrings said...

Hello, I find this very interesting regarding inferences. Because communication is one of the most difficult things for humans to do, when we are "reading into" instead of hearing what was actually said. I am continually frustrated when I ask a question, and someone answers me with a response towards what they believe I asked, instead of what I actually asked. I often wonder why it is that they cannot hear me. I believe this is the way the world, as a whole, operates... perhaps miscommunication is our biggest malfunction. On the other hand, I am often told that I am 'reading too much' into something... so, I suppose I am no better at this communication thing. I believe I am throwing bits of psychology into my thinking and evaluating processes... so, I do read into stuff... perhaps incorrectly. Interesting how this all links into computer programming. Thanks for sharing your story.

Lee~William said...

Thank you for expressing interest in my work ..I understand your frustration .. communication can be such a crapshoot.

Oberon said...

.....i liked your last profile photo much better.....it was great!

Bill Robertson said...

Oberon ~ Thanks ..! I do look much better on Halloween (lol).

On this site ..I'm trying to stay consistent with the appearance on my work site ..not that it makes a whole heck of a lot of difference.

Anonymous said...

Question.

Do you think it would be okay for anyone to use energy manipulation on another person without their knowldege of it?

A little off topic, but relevant.

I don't believe it is the right thing to do even if it was to help a person.

Example:

Recently, a group of people started "synchroblogging" at blogger to see what would happen. Each person wrote about one topic which was associated with another person's life to see if it could create a vibration to influence people to have " like thoughts".

The problem with this experiment wasn't that people were using the laws of attraction for self improvement.

The problem was it was also used, at a subliminal level, on people who were not aware of it.

Now, for some, this might have been a fun little experiment to see just what might happen, buy let me tell you what did happen.

If the body chakras are closed, and one person were to manipulate the energy of another without them being aware of it, the end result can be catastrophic with the top down processing in a person's brain being affected.

While I am all for self improvement, I believe the manipulation of others when only end with one result.

Disaster.

Tell Marlayna glynn brown to watch her back.

Have a nice day!

Anonymous said...

Shelly,
I am watching my back...and what I see is a knock out collection of beautiful and finely toned muscles artfully accentuated by a lacy pink tank. Now, please go away and stop bothering this nice man and his blog.

Marlayna Glynn Brown

Anonymous said...

Yes, really.