Project manager

1990 to 1995
Overcoming resistance: I figured if things didn’t work out in Santa Barbara, I might be able to get a job with one of the high-tech firms in Silicon Valley. I also thought it would help it I had more experience with enterprise systems (ERP), and SBRC was giving me an opportunity to do that. ERP is like an information network that links the operations of just about every department to help ensure the company meets it’s earnings’ forecast. The Santa Barbara Research Center needed an ERP-like system so that accounting had up-to-date information for progress-billing ..and the Controllers’ Office could regularly check their financial status. The first obstacle I encountered was resistance from accounting. They didn’t want to be connected with operations .. too disruptive they said ..their manual methods worked just fine ..change would only subject them to more audits and penalties for things they couldn’t explain. The second obstacle was the attorney they hired to represent them. I tried explaining to accounting that the new system would actually reduce clerical effort and help them produce more timely billing statements. Sounded too slick. Then I met with members of the clerical staff to assure them that their jobs were safe ..and that they would be reporting to the Controllers’ Office where their knowledge of the new system would make them indispensable. They were, like: “Yeah, right-O ..new guy.” Then I tried convincing the attorney that a one-time demonstration was all it would take to get the system certified ..and keep the auditors off their back. She goes: “Oh yeah ..? How’s it going to keep track of salvage operations ..? Mis-charge those, buddy, and someone ends up going to jail.” Nobody is going to jail, I said ..and we were given the OK to begin. I was already exhausted.

No comments: