Consultant

1999 to 2001
Demolition expert: I have a theory about the Garden of Eden. Adam and Eve weren’t cast out ..they blew it up themselves. When I first arrived in Santa Barbara, I felt like a kid at summer camp. Our offices were within walking distance of the beach and a major university. I found that I could develop computing systems in my head while sitting on the bluffs. I had a talented group of co-workers ..and an account manager named Sherry who was our best promoter. We were at the top of our game ..none of the other consulting groups won as many contracts ..or contributed as much to the revenue stream. Nobody screwed with us. I went out on medical leave in 1999. While I was gone, Sherry retired to Arizona to take care of her ailing husband. With her gone, people from headquarters in Los Angeles saw an opportunity to take-charge of a kick-ass consulting group. Little did they know they were stepping into foreign culture. They brought in a manager named Pete ..and shortly there-after most of the ‘talent’ bailed. Next Pete set out to demolish our relationship with the local customers. Pretty soon they were complaining to CSC headquarters that they were not getting the service they were accustomed to (and paying for). When I returned in 2000, headquarters asked me to step-in and help since I was the only one left after the exodus. I talked to the customers. They told me they had awarded us contracts worth millions of dollars, and were waiting on bids for several more. They said it felt like their requests were falling into a black hole ..and they were frustrated. I sat down with Pete, but he acted like he didn’t know what I was talking about. I started thumbing through a stack of folders on his conference table and found one that said ‘Request for service: Inventory shortages’ and another that said ‘Request for proposal: Supply Chain System’. I went “Hey Pete, here they are!” He said he had no idea what they were asking for and wasn’t about to risk assigning them to anyone (!?) When I suggested I could help, he got visibly angry and said I could help by ‘sweeping the floor’. Pete was under pressure from headquarters to reach the same level of billable hours as we were doing before. So he had everybody doing what he knew best. I called it ‘sweeping the floors’ but it was actually things like rewriting low-level code, changing file handling protocols and reporting progress on technical issues that made no difference to the customer. Meanwhile requests for service were being ignored. Pete hated meeting with the customers because he said he could never understand what they were talking about and were a waste of time. He had technical issues to deal with. Reminded me of the most valuable lesson I learned: it’s all about customer service and business applications ..not the latest device coming out of IT [link]. I thought that could definitely apply here, but it was too late. We had already lost several big contracts and CSC was forced to shut down the Santa Barbara branch. I felt we had everything providence could bestow ..and blew it up.
to be continued ..


2 comments:

Shimmerrings said...

This reminds me of the time I got laid off. I was a good employee, worked hard, worked over, without pay, for the good of the place. My bosses best friend, who had less seniority and knew less than I, about how to perform our job, was kept on. And the "best friend" had the nerve to ask me, right up to the very last day, how to perform a step on our work task. Ordinarily, I would have helped... even been eager to help. This time? I said, "Ask Norma." She was astonished that I would say that, instead of helping her. But, if she was gonna keep her position, based on her relationship to our supervisor, then she could do her job, without my help.

Bill Robertson said...

What bad business practices your boss was following. Letting good people go ..and filling their position with incompetent friends is a good way to go out of business.

Pete was under pressure from headquarters to reach the same level of billable hours as before..so he had everybody doing what he knew best. I called it sweeping the floors ..it was actually things like rewriting low-level code (that made no difference) ..duplicating effort ..and breaking things behind our back so we could spend billable hours fixing it. He hated meeting with customers because he couldn’t understand what they were talking about ..